Term 1 - You Wouldn't Want to be a Victorian
This year we will be studying a range of different topics, starting with 'You Wouldn't Want to be a Victorian'. Over the course of this term we will be looking at what life was like in Victorian Britain, comparing Rochester then and now as well as looking at the work of significant individuals including the work of L.S. Lowry, Dr Barnardo, Thomas Edison and Sir Robert Peel.
To enhance the children's understanding of Victorian Britain, we will be reading 'Street Child' by Berlie Doherty. We would appreciate it if you could avoid reading this particular text with your child this term, but if they are enjoying learning about the Victorian era and would like to continue to read around the topic, the following texts are a good starting-point:
- 'Far From Home' by Berlie Doherty
- 'Gaslight' by Eloise Williams
- 'Rose Campion and the Stolen Secret' by Lyn Gardner
- 'Twelve Minutes to Midnight' by Christopher Edge
- 'Horrible Histories: The Vile Victorians' by Terry Deary
- 'The Peculiars' by Kieran Larwood
- 'The Adventures of the New Cut Gang' by Philip Pullman
- 'You Wouldn't Want to be a Victorian Schoolchild' by John Malam
Our PE days will be a Wednesday and Thursday but we would appreciate it if your child could have their PE kit in school from Monday to Friday in case this changes.
Our indoor PE will be dance and outdoor PE will be football for all classes.
Year 5 Curriculum